Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Server

There is basic information on the Ubuntu 8.04 server (codenamed Hardy Heron or Hardy for short) in the Absolute Beginners Forum. Generally there is a great amount of Ubuntu support in the forum. One can learn a lot.
Included in the forum are links to technology blogs and sites. For example, see Prashanth Speaks-Technology and Life at http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/. Included are articles such as A Simple Way to backup Quickly in Linux (http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/05/simple-way-to-backup-quickly-in-linux.html). There are many articles on Hardy at SliceHost.com (http://articles.slicehost.com/ubuntu-hardy). At some point I will go back and read about Ruby on Rails (http://articles.slicehost.com/rails). Another source is HowToForge.com (http://howtoforge.com/). There is an article on Hardy server setup at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts. I might seek second opinions just to verify the advice, but given the disparate sources of support this should not be a problem. I found informative stuff on server setup basics like "...t
he router has an IP address. When there is a request for that IP address on port 80 (for a website), the request should should be forwarded to the internal address of the server on port 80."

No comments: