Installation Routine Experiences
I completed the assigned installation routines without significant issues. I built a server GUI by installing the X window system and the IceWM window manager, and verified installation of the server GUI via http://localhost/.
I installed Ubuntu Desktop on a virtual machine (VM) free of any major issues. I think I am going to move the .iso files of my Ubuntu operating systems from my machine's C Drive to its D Drive, because the C Drive is getting full. While on the subject of drives, I need to read about installing VMware virtual machines on a portable flash drive. If the result would mean being able to carry around a portable Linux OS, then such a thing would be useful.
I utilized wget and dpkg to install the Webmin admin GUI. Notable are the large variety of available modules (http://www.webmin.com/standard.html). I ran ifconfig to find the virtual server's IP address on the second line of eth0. I might be making a mistake, but according to my notes the server's IP address changed from a previous day. Hmm. I connected to the Webmin GUI on the IceWM window manager on the X window system through Port 10000 from my host machine browser via https://localhost:10000.
Generally all these routines completed without major issues. My big issue for this week was the installation of vim, which kept me busy Monday and Tuesday. The issue took many hours to resolve, and is detailed in the Unit 5 Activities section.

No comments:
Post a Comment