I went about learning XML using the W3Schools XML tutorial at http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp, which covered the basics of XML, including the use of XML, the XML tree structure, XML syntax, XML elements, XML validation, viewing XML, and more.
I also went through the Document Type Definition (DTD) tutorial, which describes the current de facto schema standard for XML documents. The tutorial included DTD elements, attributes, entities, validation, and examples.
I also went through the XML Schema tutorial. XML Schema is an XML-based alternative do DTDs.
I also viewed Mark Long's CBT tutorials XML Basics and XML Documents. I think they we useful reinforcement to the W3Schools tutorials.
Overall I think the lessons on XML were pretty straightforward. As I use XML, I will become more proficient.
---
This week I accessed the demo server under SSH protocol with the client utility Putty.
I transferred the server to headless mode, first testing for keyboard or mouse boot hang-ups by unplugging the keyboard and mouse and restarting the server. Although it returned an error message, it did reboot. So I took off the monitor too.
I found the server's web site in var/www, and examined the default website configuration location from the documentroot directive in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.
I created a group webdev for developing the website, added my username to webdev, changed group ownership of /www from root to webdev, changed /www permissions to 775, changed /www subdirectories to 775, and changed /www files to 664. Then I used the file transfer utility WinSCP to transfer files from my UA website to /var/www on my demo server. I received file sharing permissions errors while transferring the files, but the files did transfer.
I also create a user web space enable through the Apache module Userdir. I created a directory public_html and an HTML file index.html. I enabled the Userdir module with the command a2enmod userdir.
Besides the demo server, there is an issue I want to look into about the VM server. I want to know why I cannot ping from the VM server to other machines.

No comments:
Post a Comment