Monday, October 20, 2008
EPrints
I thought it might be a good idea to try using the Library of Congress Subject Headings to describe my collection (a collection of evaluation reports in PDF) in EPrints. The first two levels of Library of Congress Subject Headings were insufficiently granular to distinguish individual collection items. In this sense, I think the problem with using LCSH with my EPrints collection is similar to the problem with LCSH in highly-specialized libraries. If I use EPrints again for this collection, I may create an alternate subjects taxonomy. A higher degree of granularity (distribution across more subjects) would make the subject browse feature more useful. Because my collection items are closely related in terms of subject, maintaining consistent subject terms has not been a problem. I used "uncontrolled keywords" to enhance the level of description. The uncontrolled keywords are not, however, by default browsable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment